Aug 29, 2012

12 Hour Salad



Although school has just started for most of us, we're still bound to have a few more weeks of warm summer weather.  I'm determined to keep pulling out the grill and drag out the BBQ season for as long as I can. 

Maybe even host one last farewell summer BBQ with friends?    

When preparing food for a crowd I've learned the hard way that simple should always be the rule.  And by that I don't mean sacrificing flavor, but choosing the smart easy options that allow me to trade fussing for relaxation and good conversation.

No TiAnn, you really shouldn't make homemade rolls, or be cooking at the stove when the guests arrive, or be a stressed out crazy person... Duh. 




And so here' s a brilliant, simple, make-ahead, easy peasy, flavor-packed salad that is exactly what you'll want for those occasions.  Layer it all together and hours later you'll have a crisp beautiful salad to pull out with no fuss and no stress.

'Cause I think we'd all like a bit more no stress, no fuss in our lives AMIRIGHT?!


*Please note that I only made half the recipe for my photo.
12 Hour Salad
Recipe by Bliss From Scratch, inspired by A Thrifty Mom | Printable Version


  • 8 cups torn salad greens
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
  • 1 red bell pepper sliced
  • 1/2 cup red onion sliced
  • 1 package (10oz) frozen peas

  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 tablespoons sugar

  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • 1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled

Layer the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl or casserole dish.

In a small bowl combine Mayo, Sour cream and sugar and spread over vegetables, top with cheese and bacon.

Cover and refrigerate.  You can chill it overnight, but I prefer it 4-6 hours later.  If you want to serve it immediately just use thawed peas instead.  And as always, don't be afraid to use whatever vegetable you prefer.  Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. sounds delightful except for some of the foul veggies you put in there, namely the peppers and onions- but I do believe it would be even more delicious without them! I'll have to try it out- and by the way... thanks for posting, I was about to write you expressing my anger over your lack of new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...peas and bacon! Yum! This sounds like a terrific salad. Thanks for the recipe (and the pretty photo)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...