Mar 21, 2013

Udon Peanut Stirfry

First off, my apologies for the severe case of blog neglect.  I'm back, well rested, and with a fresh trove of recipe inspiration up my sleeve.  Stay tuned.


This dish has landed squarely on our weekly menu rotation.




I blame my obsessive nature.  I'll stumble upon a dynamite dish and then make it over, and over, and over until my family boycotts it for a while.


Udon noodles are the latest crush.  They're chubby, versatile, whole-wheat-healthy-deliciousness, and they do an ace job of absorbing the sauce.  Love 'em.

Other than the peanut sauce you really don't need a recipe for this.  Toss in whatever diced veggies you love and you've got a fabulously easy, healthy and satisfying one-dish dinner--that's vegan/vegetarian too.  We've been shifting toward multiple meatless, whole-grain centered meals each week, but I don't think that should mean sacrificing flavor.  'Cause who'd want to live a in world like that?  Not I.


This simple peanut sauce is drink-ably good.  Not kidding, I'd name my kid after it.  Tossed with the stir-fried crisp tender veggies, and Udon noodles, it's loaded with texture and Thai-heaven flava.


Another friendly reminder that healthy can be wicked good.  Make this.


Udon Peanut Stirfry
Recipe by Bliss From Scratch, adapted from KathEats.com | Printable Version


  • 2 (8 oz) packages fresh cooked Udon noodles, or use 1/2 lb dried Udon noodles, cook as directed on packaging.
  • 5 cups fresh sliced veggies, I used: broccoli, mushrooms, onions, red/orange/yellow peppers, zucchini, green beans. 
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Garnish options: chopped peanuts, sliced scallions, lime wedges, cilantro.


Remove the fresh cooked Udon noodles from the packaging, discard the seasoning packets.  Soak the noodles in a bowl of hot water, soften 5-10 minutes until you can gently pull the noodles apart without tearing them up too much.  

While noodles are soaking, prepare the Simple Peanut Sauce (directions below).  

Chop fresh vegetables.  Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok, and stir fry the veggies until just crisp-tender.  Toss in the drained noodles and Peanut Sauce, gently stir until heated through.  Garnish, serve and enjoy!


Simple Peanut Sauce

  • 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • Pinch ginger
  • Pinch cayenne pepper


Combine all ingredients in a small stock pot over medium heat, whisk until smooth (take care not to over cook, as the sauce will continue to thicken) and serve over tossed noodles.


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I will be making this next week! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUM!!!!!!!! I have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kim. Actually, I made this already and my family really liked this recipe, because it's really tasty. And now, I will make this again for our dinner. I'm sure we will eat a lot again.

      Beef Stir Fry

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to try this! I love a good peanut sauce. TiAnn your blog is positive proof that dinner doesn't have to be rushed through to hurry on to our next task at hand. We should definitely slow down an enjoy. Your culinary delights make me look forward to dinner time instead of dread it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...