Nov 19, 2011

Clam Chowder


Can I just be honest with you?  My Clam Chowder is fabulous.  I doth proclaim it from the roof tops, that I swear it's better than Ivar's and those San Franciscan chowder bowls that I'd heard so much about.  Big talk?  Indeed.  Try it out and you'll see. 



Clam Chowder
  • 2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
  • 1 8 oz. jar clam juice
  • 1 cup minced onion
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 2 cups cubed potatoes
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 quart half-and-half cream
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2-3 teaspoons salt, to taste
  • ground black pepper, to taste
Drain juice from clams into a large soup pot over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots- put the clams into the fridge while you cook. Add water to cover the veggies, and simmer until tender.

Let your veggies cook for about 5 minutes and then start the white sauce- it can take a little time to thicken.  In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth- I also increase the heat to med-high to speed up the thickening. Carefully pour the white sauce into the pot of vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.

Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they can get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.

My recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.

3 comments:

  1. I love your posts and delicious dinner ideas, but I'm going to have to pass on this one- You can keep your sewer smelling seafood to yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clam Chowder is pretty much my favorite food (isn't that random?) so I kind of consider myself a "connoisseur" in this department- I can't wait to give this a try and see if it's just "big talk" or not. :) I could so go for a bowl right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia- You'll have to let me know what you really think of it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...