Nov 19, 2011

Copycat: Wingers Wings & Amazing Sauce


These wings really are off-the-hook amazing.  I very rarely fry anything- for health, & because I hate the messy oil cleanup.  But these are worth it, and surprisingly easy!  My dragon slayer recently went to Wingers and was happy to report that mine are much better.  He's brutally honest with my cooking, and so this was a genuine compliment folks!  Impress your next football party crowd with these finger lickin' superstars.



Copycat: Wingers Wings & Amazing Sauce
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • pinch salt
  • 20 (or so) chicken wings
  • oil for deep frying
Sauce:
  • 1/3 cup Hot Sauce
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. water

In a bowl mix together the flour, cayenne and salt. Place chicken wings in a large bowl and toss with flour mixture until they are evenly coated (or you can do it the Shake n' bake way and put it all in a large bag). Cover bowl and refrigerate for about an hour.

In a small sauce pan, heat up hot sauce, brown sugar and water until all the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool before adding to wings, or prepare ahead of time and refrigerate. The wings turn out best if you don't pour warm sauce over them. You want it nice and thick.

Heat oil in a deep fryer (or big stock pot) to 375 degrees.  Fry coated wings in hot oil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until parts of wings begin to turn brown. Remove from heat, place wings in serving bowl, and toss in the sauce and serve.

Tips (for other deep frying novices like myself): I fried mine in a big stock pot on the stove, and found that it took a while for the oil to get hot enough- having a thermometer was definitely helpful.  Also that when I added the chicken the temperature dropped, and so I needed to keep the heat set on High for the whole cooking time.  My wings took a full 12-15 minutes to cook.

My recipe slightly adapted from favfamilyrecipes.com.

3 comments:

  1. OHHHHH let me help you to finish it! I hope this is a planned dinner for your visit with us- So scrumptious and better that the real thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I just read Shawny's comment. Me first. No, really, me first.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...