Sep 12, 2012

Rainbow Sour Cream Cupcakes


My youngest baby girl Gigi recently turned one.  

She's my angel baby.  Sweet, quiet, cuddly and the calm observer amongst her two spunky, boisterous elder sisters.  And like all babies of the family, my unabashed favorite child.  



To celebrate the ascension to age numero uno, I made her these vibrant rainbow cupcakes.


I've always longed to throw loads of food coloring into cake batter.  It was therapeutic. 

The best part is that I used a boxed cake mix, and made it taste like from-scratch awesomeness by doctoring it up with some sour cream.  Shazam!  Fast, easy and fantastic results.    

That's my cup of tea.   


The sour cream added a delightful tang and moistness to the cake, and then I topped 'em with my perfect chocolate buttercream.  Goooood stuff. 


Rainbow Sour Cream Cupcakes
Recipe by Bliss From Scratch, adapted from Food.com | Printable Version
  • package yellow cake mix
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix on low speed for 1 minute.  Scrape down sides with a spatula.  Increase mixer speed to medium and mix an additional 2 minutes.

Divide batter into separate cups and add desired food coloring, mix well.  Using a small cookie scoop or two spoons, carefully scoop the various colored batters into your lined cupcake pan.  Try not to mix the colors.  

Bake according to the directions on the back of the box, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. 

Cool on a wire rack and frost as desired.  Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Me loves it!!!! This gets me in the cupcake mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as it turns my kids poo bright colors!! They recently had BSU cupcakes from walmarto and savannah's bum was stained blue for two days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's gross Shawny, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...