Oct 25, 2011

Caprese Chicken


There are so many things I love about this dish, but the big fat juicy slices of tomato take center stage.  The aroma that will waft from your oven is phenomenal.  Crisp smoky bacon, fragrant fresh basil, all topped with a gooey slice of mozzarella.  Need I say more?  I am in love, and even my five year old has been begging me to make it again. 




Caprese Chicken
  • 8 bacon strips- reserve some of the bacon grease.
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 6 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
  • 4 slices mozzarella cheese or provolone

Cook the bacon until partially done but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Pour some of the left over bacon grease into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan – That’s right, use that grease!  I’m telling you, you will want all that flavor!  Use enough bacon grease to coat the bottom of the pan. 

Place the chicken into the pan, flip to coat the breasts with the bacon grease, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover each breast with (2) thick slices of tomato and chopped basil. Wrap each in two bacon strips, arranging bacon in a crisscross.

Bake, uncovered, at 400° F for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170° F. Top with cheese; bake 1 minute longer or until melted. Yield: 4 servings.

Tip: If you are using monstrously thick chicken breasts (as they sometimes can be) consider filleting them in half or pounding them out flatter.  They should be about 1 inch thick at the most, or they will take too long to bake and your bacon will burn. 

My recipe adapted from Taste of Home.

3 comments:

  1. made the chicken tonight and it was DELISH!!! keep the recipes coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to come visit and I want you to make this for me. The Queen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess... This image and ingredient list is mouth watering. When this country collapses and you guys move to the settlement/ mom and dad's house. You are welcome to bring your recipes. Love ya

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...