Oct 24, 2011

Oreo Bat Pops


I've always wanted to try my hand at making cookie pops, but for some reason I envisioned them to be terribly messy, deeply intricate, and only for the truly crafty at heart.  I am happy to report that I was not only wrong, but these stinkin' cute cookie pops are delightfully easy to make.  Plus my girly's had a ball being my big helpers and making a few lovely deformed ones for themselves.  Yes deformed.  But cute.



Oreo Bat Pops
  • Oreos (Double Stuf type, so that your lollipop sticks will fit)
  • Chocolate Bark or Wilton Candy Melts
  • Circle shaped sprinkles or candy eyes (available in the cake decorating section of Walmart and craft  stores)
  • Sprinkles for mouth and fangs
  • Thin lollipop sticks
  • Black card stock or construction paper
  • Wax Paper
Use the cardstock or construction paper to prepare the bat wings- I quickly cut mine out by hand without a pattern (yes I like to 'wing it'- no pun intended) but if you want a pattern go here.  Insert the lollipop sticks into the crème filling of the Double Stuf Oreo. Set aside.

Melt the chocolate according to the directions on the package. Dip the Oreos in the chocolate- I used a spoon to help cover the Oreos- and be sure to coat the top of the lollipop stick where it’s inserted in the Oreo; this will hold it all together when it’s dried. 

Place on wax paper and add the wings (to the back of the Oreo), eyes, and fangs.

Tips for Success - that I learned the hard way:
  • The big bricks of Chocolate Bark work much better for this than the Wilton Candy Melts.  The Wilton Melts never melted down to a runny-enough consistency and it was gloppy and very difficult to get a smooth coat on the Oreos.  BUT the Wilton Melts do taste better and so if you add a little Crisco to the melted Wilton Melts-1 teaspoon at a time until the Chocolate will barely run off the spoon- this did give it a much smoother consistency and it worked much better.  

Inspired by Our Best Bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...