May 29, 2012

From Scratch Baby Food


My third baby girl Gigi was just starting on baby food a few months back, when my kid sister Caley came to visit with her own baby girl.  She watched me pulling out the over-priced little jars of baby food and kindly told me that I needed to wise up and make my own. 

What?  Make my own? 

I vaguely recalled attempting it once before, yearrrrs ago.  I had saved a couple thousand of the little glass jars and for some reason thought that I needed to find a way to refill them. 

Disastrous results ensued.  It was tedious, slow, and extremely messy trying to spoon food back into the little jars.  Not fun.  Also all those jars took up way too much freezer space and were annoying to defrost.  

I never tried it again.  The convenience of the store-bought baby food prevailed.  Big time.  

Well my wise sister shared with me a much smarter approach to homemade baby food, and I love it so much that I now deeply regret not doing so with my two elder daughters.    



Here's what ya do.  Cook, blend, mash, steam, puree, chop, dice, etc. any food of choice that you'd like to see your fat gurgling baby consume.  Season it to taste if needed, or just leave it au naturale.  Using a spoon or spatula spread the cooled prepared food substance into an ice cube tray.  Take care to keep the food relatively level with the form of the tray so that your frozen food cubes will pop out nicely. 

Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.  Piece-o-cake.        

When your lovely baby food trays have completely frozen, pop 'em out and toss 'em into a zip lock freezer bag--  the easy open and close zippered bags being the most ideal.


And there you have it.  Stinkin' brilliant!

Perfectly portioned little food cubes that are a breeze to reheat.  Simply plunk them into a little glass dish or bowl ('cause I believe microwaving food in plastic = cancer poison) heat for 10-15 sec. intervals, and stir between each interval until you achieve the perrrrfecto warmth and consistency. 

Tips: With some foods like oatmeal for example, you'll need to add a little bit of water when reheating or it can be a little dry.  Also carrots can contain large amounts of soil minerals and have been known to start sparking and even cause fires in the microwave.  I speak from experience.  Kinda freaked me out.  So be sure to just cover your carrots in water while reheating and you'll avoid the whole flaming microwave fiasco. 

I love that I know exactly what my baby is consuming and that I'm saving lots and lots of moolah.  I have not bought another jar of baby food since and I feel so smart and victorious about the whole thing.  It's caused me to ponder, what else should I stop wasting money on and just make myself?     

And so I'll ask you. What do you make from scratch that makes your life better and saves you some dinero?


9 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous idea, TiAnn! I'm a sucker for convenience, and this looks like convenience AND nutrition AND money-saving! Triple win. :)

    As for what I make from scratch that saves me money...well, the big thing that comes to mind is popcorn. Not that I really make it from scratch, but I don't buy microwave popcorn anymore. I buy the kernels in the bag for their whole-grain low-fat wonderfulness. I pour about 2 T of canola oil (I've heard coconut oil is best, but it's really expensive) into a saucepan, add enough kernels to cover the bottom of the pan 1 kernel deep, then cook 'em on medium-high until the pause between "pops" is about two seconds. Then I drizzle on the melted butter, or the tabasco sauce, or the garlic butter, basil, and parmesan cheese (delicious). I will NEVER go back to microwave popcorn. This is almost as easy, and it saves me lots of money, because we love popcorn, and I can get a million batches of the stuff out of one bag of popcorn (which is about as cheap as one box of 3 microwave popcorn bags).

    Another thing I do from scratch that saves me money (this is a long comment--sorry) is make my own cocktail and tartar sauces. Cocktail sauce is great on shrimp and also on roast beef. I make it with horseradish and ketchup (as much of either as you like). I make tartar sauce out of mayonnaise, dried dill weed, and pickle relish, with a splash of red wine vinegar. Sometimes I use bottled petite capers instead of pickle relish. That's very nice on fancy fish.

    This was a great post, TiAnn--it really got me thinking about how I could save money if I cooked a little more from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim! I love your suggestions for from scratch popcorn, cocktail and tartar sauces. Brilliant! I'm definitely going to give that a try, thanks for the great suggestions. P.S. I very much enjoyed your long comment :)

      Delete
  2. I REALLY needed this post 4 babies ago! Thank goodness I found you and all your food wisdom now. This is brilliant. I'm "pinning" it! Watch out- here come the hits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEFINITELY going to use this for baby #LAST ONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Caley's got it all figured out, smart girl! I'm excited to meet your baby #last one. :)

      Delete
  4. This saved our bacon! With Logan working and in his masters program we're "tight"... Pinching pennies and everything else :) Sooo it always feels awesome knowing I'm saving some cash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you shared your Supermom-awesomeness-wisdom with me Bubs. You're wonderful!

      Delete
  5. Love the picture! You look wonderful!!!
    loving the ideas. Keep them coming. The only thing better is if you were here to cook them for us!!
    We love it when you come. Kiss the babies. We made the sugar cookies for Shane and Tina.. so good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...