Jun 5, 2012

Easy Cream Cheese Wontons




I'm an appetizer girl. 

When dining out, if given my druthers, I'd almost always pass on the sweets and opt for the savory. 

I'm odd and I know this. 


But there's just something about the miniaturization of ordinary eatables that has me utterly smitten.  And I can't seem to outgrow it.  Parties boasting of heavy hors d'oeuvres are the shindigs worth showin' up for. 

Guuuuyyys... they make me happy.  Yin to my yang.  




Which brings me to my next revelation of truth and honor and justice... ummm, yeah.  I'm guilty of being a bit of an impulsive, capricious cookerer at times, and today I noted that I had some wonton skins that were nearing their end. 

They needed to be used.  There was no other choice.   

And so I've decided to stop being selfish and share with you one of my favorite apps that are easy-as-pie to make.  And for the record I've never understood that idiom.  Pie ain't really that easy.


I first had a version of these crispy cream cheese filled creations at a Thai restaurant. 

Love at first bite.

Theirs were called "cream cheese rangoons" and I've had many with crab, shrimp or other fun additions.  So just do what feels right is what I'm getting at. 

Don't let the little wonton size fool ya, they pack a lotta flava.  You'll definitely want to sink your faaangs into these thaaangs.

Okay I'll stop now.  It is past my bedtime.

Easy Cream Cheese Wontons
Recipe by Bliss From Scratch  |  Printable Version

  • ½ cream cheese brick (4 oz.), softened
  • 3 tablespoons chives or green onions, chopped
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon sugar
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 16 wonton skins
  • oil for frying

Combine all of the ingredients together (except the wontons) in a small bowl, and mix well.

Spoon a teaspoon of the mixture onto the center of a wonton skin.  Moisten the edges with water (I use a little cup of water to wet my finger).  Fold in half and press the edges together, making sure all of the edges are sealed.  Continue to fold and stick edges together for cool funky shapes or just leave as triangles.

Heat oil on Med-Hi and fry until golden brown, turning once to cook evenly.  About 1 minute total.

Tip: This is crucial.  To be enjoyed these must be served with a good dipping sauce.  We prefer a restaurant-style sweet and sour sauce (Sunluck brand is our fav), or a sweet chili sauce.  Enjoy.


3 comments:

  1. These sound amazing, TiAnn! And so pretty, too.

    I'm totally with you on the savory over the sweet. Unless it's chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzer- super awesome picture- and they look sinfully delicious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want you plate... and the wontons.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...