Jun 20, 2012

Perfect Chocolate Buttercream

I made this and spread it upon a reeeaaallly good chocolate cake- recipe to follow soon, it was snarfed up by family members before I could document it's greatness- as a belated Father's day dessert for my beloved P-Man.

He's an exceptional Dad to his girls.

We're all darn lucky to have him.  



I'm sorry to have to say this, but I was raised in a family that could take or leave chocolate. 

Yes people like that really exist. 

We prefer fruity desserts over double-chocolate-chunk-ganache-fudge-cocoa-smothered whatevers...  It's a genetic thing I'm sure.  But my choc-aholic husband has gradually eroded my ways and today I find myself sitting somewhere in the middle. 

I do like and even crave chocolate occasionally now.  Quite the evolution.

This frosting really was divine.  My P-Man's say on the matter was that he normally scrapes off the cloyingly sweet frosting and just eats the cake, but this frosting was in his words perfect.   


Perfect Chocolate Buttercream
Recipe by Bliss From Scratch, adapted from allrecipes.com | Printable Version

  • 6 cups powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons evaporated milk

In a medium bowl, sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa, set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth, then gradually beat in sugar mixture alternately with evaporated milk.  Beat until light and fluffy. If desired, you can adjust consistency with more milk or sugar.  Enjoy. 

Yield: makes enough frosting to fill and cover a two-layer 8 or 9 inch cake.

Tips & Tricks:
  • Always mix your frosting on low speeds to keep air bubbles from forming.  Loads of air bubbles can make frosting and decorating a nightmare, so low mixing speed is the your friend!
  • Buttercream frostings are wonderfully forgiving, if it's too stiff, just add a bit more milk, a teaspoon at a time.  If it's too soft, just add a bit more powdered sugar, just a little at a time until its where you want it. 


4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Ok, so when you say "beat until light and fluffy"...that's where I get nervous. I'm not a baker, so please forgive me. But does that mean like 1 minute or like 10? I've seen recipes that call for a lot of beating to really get it smooth, but I think you can over-beat too? Clearly I need someone to hold my hand while baking. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rochelle,
    I know what you mean, and I do think you can overmix frosting. I mix until it looks well combined and then about 1min more. I've always had great results. I've also always needed to tweak my frosting too, either adding more milk or more powdered sugar. Generally you if you're just covering a cake (not making flowers, etc) you want a softer consistency. It should be soft enough to easily spread on a cake, but stiff enough to not fall right off the spatula. A good test is to put some frosting in a cup and then stick a small frosting spatula into it and wiggle it. If it doesn't move it's too stiff. If it falls over completely it's too soft. A good medium-soft consistency should just wiggle easily but not fall over. Hope that makes sense. Also I always mix on a lower speed or the frosting gets loaded with air bubbles, which won't look as smooth & can be a pain when using piping bags. I took a few Wilton cake decorating courses at Michaels & learned a lot. I should do a frosting & cake baking 101 post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tiann! And yes! A Frosting and Cake baking post! And stick in a little commentary about the Supreme Court upholding Obamacare :/ Oh, and I am going to give this frosting a try, but not until you post the chocolate cake recipe.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy. this is the best picture. it makes me want to dive right into the frosting ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...