Jan 1, 2013

Grandma Hill's Cheese Cake


Today's my birthday. 



How old you ask?  Apparently this is the last year that I'm supposed to own my real age.  So I'll willingly admit that I've reached my 29th year, and with the stark realization that I've only a solitary year to soak up the last of my twenties, I've done what every sensible birthday girl must do.


I baked myself a phenomenal cheesecake.  


I've requested this dessert for every birthday since I can remember.  The recipe is one of those beloved family heirlooms passed down from my maternal Great Grandma Hill, and though I've never met her, the recipe assures me that we are indeed related. 


It is not your typical dense, overwhelmingly rich New York style cheesecake, nor is it some instant pudding cheesecake imposter.  This recipe yields a much lighter cheesecake, and though it still has a delightful creaminess, the lemon juice gives it a brightening tang which is undoubtedly what makes this a genuine bombshell.

Naturally you can drizzle it with any sauce your heart desires, but this decadent dessert can stand on its own as well.

I wish you a joyful New Year my friends!



Grandma Hill's Cheesecake
Recipe by Bliss From Scratch | Printable Version

  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1 sleeve graham crackers, (approx. 10 crackers) crushed
  • 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice, or 2 juiced lemons
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 eggs

In a small bowl combine the crushed graham crackers and melted butter, stir until the crumbs are moistened.  Pour the crumb mixture into a greased spring form pan (you can also use a pie plate), and use the back of a small spoon to gently spread the crumbs until the bottom of the pan is evenly coated, also pressing a little up the sides of the pan.  

In a large mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese until smooth, add sugar, flour, salt, mix until combined. Add sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla, mix until smooth.  Lastly add the eggs, mix until just combined.  

Pour the cream cheese mixture into the crumb-coated pan, use a spatula to gently smooth the top.

Bake at 350° F for 40-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely and then chill until cold before serving.  Enjoy!


Tips: Cracks in your cooled cheesecake can be hard to avoid, so here's a few tips to help to keep your cheesecake crack-free.
  • Place a medium-size saucepan 3/4 full of hot water into the back corner of your oven while baking.  The moisture will help prevent the cheesecake from becoming too dry.  
  • After removing from the oven, immediately run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cheesecake from the sides.     
  • Optional method: 5-10 minutes before the cheesecake is finished, turn off the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool gradually in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours.  Once completely cooled, chill in the fridge until cold before serving.  


2 comments:

  1. This cheesecake looks delicious! I've never tried using sour cream in a cheesecake and yours looks so rich and creamy..I can practically taste it. Will definitely try this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that just looks divine! Happy Birthday Tiann... live it up! Last year ;)... after that we start considering ourselves 'getting old'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...